3 Day Overview of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
No more Inca Trail spaces in 2020? Do NOT worry! You can now go on a great tour through the snowy Salkantay to one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World – Machu Picchu.
National Geographic Adventure Magazine rated the Salkantay trek as one for the 25 Best Treks in the World.
Mount Salkantay (or Nevado Salkantay / Salcantay) is one of the most iconic mountains in the Cusco region and the highest mountain on the Vilcabamba Mountain range. Hikkers on the Salkantay trail spend a day approaching the mountain from the south and then another day in close proximity to the mountain as they scale the Salkantay Pass, which at 4,600m provides amazing views into the valley below.
Salkantay trek of 3 days and 2 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate Andean and lush green mountains (Cloud forest), streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physically taxing walk. You can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay. You can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,630 mts/15, 228 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth day) you will enjoy the Grand tour of Machu Picchu City.
Please Note: For travellers who don’t have too many days to hike, or for those who doesn’t feel fit enought to hike the Salkantay trek for 5 days, we have a great alternative trek – Short Humantay & Salkantay 3 days and 2 night to Machu Picchu. Quechuas Expeditions team has prepared a list of Alternative treks on Salkantay Trek
STARTING POINT: Pick-up from 4:30 am to 5:00 am from your Hotel/Airbnb in Cusco.
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart, We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do.
TOTAL TREKKING DISTANCE: 75 km / 46 ml
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4,630 m / 15,228 ft
ACCOMMODATIONS: 1 nights in Green Eco Dome, 1 night in the hostel
MEALS: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, 1 tea times + wake-up teas
MACHU PICCHU: Entrance fee included
3-Day Salkantay Trek Highlights:
Sleep in comfort under the stars in our Ecofriendly Sky Green Eco Domes located in private campsite at Soraypampa and Loreta Campsite. Best Campsites Along the the Salkantay Trek:
– Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Green Eco Dome
– Visit Humantay Lake and Salkantay Lake
– Enjoy the scenic views of Salkantay Snow Mountain
– Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
– Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
– Eat delicious, freshly prepared Peruvian cuisine (Buffet Peruvian Style Food)
– Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
– Reach 4,600 meters (15,000 feet) in elevation along the Salkantay Pass
– Explore Machu Picchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
– Hike one of National Geographic’s 25 “World’s Best Treks”
Salkantay Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
We pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 a.m. to drive for about 3 hours to Mollepata where we start our Salkantay trek . As soon as we are at mollepata while you have breakfast the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 3 hours will be a little bit uphill to get Cruzpata where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa, our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco.
1ST DAY:Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Sakantay Lake – Soraypampa – Ollantaytambo- Aguas Calientes.
After having our Salkantay Trek breakfast we start walking about 6:30 am ,because this day will take us 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here. After a rest and get a group picture, we will be back on the same path to Soraypampa where have lunch and relax then after we will take the bus back to Cusco and the to Ollantaytambo to take the train to aguas calientes and do overnight in Aguas Calientes.
2ND DAY:Total distance: 11 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 5 – 6 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 3: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco
Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
SALKANTAY TREK INCLUDES:
– Private Tourist Transportation To Mollepata and Extra 1 hour minutes to get Challacancha better views and skip the dusty road. (We never share Bus service with other companies as most agencies do here to minimize costs)
– Private Transportation back from Soraypampa to Cusco and then Ollantaytambo/where we take the train to Aguas Calientes
– Expeditions Train From Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo (Round Trip)
– Machupicchu Entrance fee and Visit of Machupicchu
– Hotel Overnight in Aguas Calientes
– English – Spanish speaking guide for 2 days on Humantay Lake & Salkantay Trek.(All our Guides work for us only) All of them speak Fluent English Second Guide Over 16 people Group
– 1 Night in Dome at SORAYPAMPA CAMPSITE ( Twin bed room, Matrimonial bed room, 3 beds room, 4 beds room Accomodation)
– Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Geodesic dome
– Cook and assistance of the Cook.(We have chosen the best cook/cheffs and all are trained by Quechuas Expeditions every month)
– Cooking equipment (We use New cooking equipment and change all every 3 months)
– Snacks (Fruits, energy bars)
– Daily tea service (Wake up Coca tea and afternoon tea time(Happy hour) with full of popcorn and special snacks made by our cooks)
– Dining equipment including portable chairs and tables
– Food service in the campsites (2 breakfast,2 lunches, 2 dinners, 2 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu: Buffet style Plenty of food you will never be hungry with us! as well as Guinea Pig for free because we want you to taste all from Peru.
– Vegetarian and free Gluten menu at no extra cost (Please let us know at the time of booking)
– Salkantay Trek & Humantay entrance fees, valid for 3 days
– Insurance policy of life for porters and cooks.
– Private Transportation from the train station of Ollantaytambo to Cusco(2 hours drive) and drop off at the hotel.(we only use our Private Transportation. so you will never wait at the train station till the bus of 30 ppl gets full)
– First-aid kit (Our Guide will carry while on the salkantay trail) Please, note all our Guides are trained every year in first-aid)
– Emergency oxygen bottle (Our guide will carry while on the Trail)
– Rain waterproof cover for your day backpacks
– Pre trek Orientation – briefing A day before we do the Trek. (Hotel or Office) Let us know once you are at the office or by email.
– Single Tents upon request with no extra cost.
– Free “I survived ” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!!)
SALKANTAY TREK DOESNT INCLUDE: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
– Extra expenses
– Breakfast – Day 1
– Lunch and dinner – Day 3
– Not detailed meals
– Tips (optional)
– Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please):Quechuas Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
WHAT WE RECOMMEND TO BRING:
– Original passport and copies (and Student card (ISIC) green card if you are student ). Note ( you have to bring your student card to machu picchu because you are going to be required to show at the Machupicchu control point
– Travel Insurance card is essential
– Sleeping bag (not included)
– hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
– Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
– Sun hat and gloves
– T-shirts / shirts
– Comfortable hiking zip off trousers
– Rain pants
– Bathing suit (for hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
– Sun protection cream ( factor 25 recommended )
– Insect Repellent ( for mosquitos )15 % of deet at least
– Water bottle.
– Water purifying tablets (Micropur recommended)
– Toilet paper and wet wipes
– Personal medication
– Camera and films
– Torch with spare batteries (flashlight) we recommend headlights
– Extra contribution suggested in soles money for tipping porters, cook and guide. and for any emergency.
– Previous acclimatization in Cuzco city, for at least 2 days and general good health. Quechuas Expeditions offers easy one day and half day routes which can be completed before the main trek
Prices & Availability
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of US$100 and you are ready to go. Please, (Click here to see method of payments)
Please, Prices are Based On Group size you want us to place you./Please, note: We will Never pass you onto another operator or share service with other companies as most agencies do here.
SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU BY Glamping in Domes 3/Days By Train From Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
Group Service:(Group Size: 02 Minimum – 10ppl Average – 16ppl Maximum)
Fixed Price per person Adult US$660 & Students US$640 / 7 Kilos Portering Service included /Duffel Bag provided by QE
Please,Note: If you are 02 we can open a New group and Leave any day you suit.
SEPTEMBER 2019: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
OCTOBER 2019: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
NOVEMBER 2019: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
DECEMBER 2019: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
JANUARY 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
FEBRUARY 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
MARCH 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
APRIL 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
MAY 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
JUNE 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
JULY 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
AUGUST 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
SEPTEMBER 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
OCTOBER 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
NOVEMBER 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
DECEMBER 2020: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
PRIVATE SERVICE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU BY Glamping in Domes 3/Days / Prices are based on Number of people departing that date/ We will leave with minimum of 02 PPL.
02 persons group / US$1100 per person
03 persons group / US$1150 per person
04 persons group / US$1100 per person
05 persons group / US$1000 per person
06-8 persons group / US$950 per person
Frequently Asked Questions
WHY Quechuas Expeditions? We have Extra Things that other companies wont provide you.
For a Momorable Lifetime experience…
– We have Our Medical Emergency Equipped Rescue Mountain Car(This car will be available for all our passenger) and this will ready for any Emergency you need.
– Local 100% Peruvian 13 years experienced Tour operator(Based in Cusco)
– We treat our team of porters the best with a HOUSE for them to sleep and proper equipment, wages and health insurance for everyone
– Best Tour guides(Fluent English)
– Master Cheffs The best in the Cusco region
– The food provided on our treks is the best( buffet Style and plenty of food)
– The best Camping Equipment (spacious tents 4 season aluminum poles tents, Eating & Cooking tents, Portable table & chairs, comfortable air Thermarest mattresses and more…)
– No hidden prices or Surprises/ We Never Pass you onto another operator as most travel agencies do here. We will depart even if you are a group of 02 persons.
We never share service with other companies as most travel travel agencies do here to Minimize cost.(that’s why porters are overloaded because they are forced to carry for 2 or 3 different companies)
– Small groups & personalized services we also Cater Large groups
– Sustainable and eco-friendly tour company
– Committed to social projects and improving living conditions for the children of Peru. Lots of facilities to book any expedition in Peru.
Quechuas Expeditions is a travel agency in cusco which its first objective is the conservation the Inca Culture and the ecological preservation of the planet.
Our tours are extremely flexible according to what the client wishes to get out of his/her trip. They range regular between 4 to 8 days in length, but it can be extended for more days. Quechuas expeditions have professional multilingual guides (including the manager), local guides working as tour assistants who also participate in the expeditions, professional cooks and very experienced boat and bus drivers.
Discover with Quechuas expeditions the Inca Culture, the Andes, the Amazon Jungle, Titicaca Lake, The Colca Canyon, Cotahuasi Canyon, Nasca Lines and Paracas in the South of Peru. You can visit with Quechuas Expeditions : Nasca, Arequipa, Cusco, Puno, the jungle of Puerto Maldonado, Manu Biosphere Reserve, Tambopata National Reserve and many attractive tours in the South of Peru like river whitewater rafting, horse-back riding, traditional tours and much more.
Quechuas Expeditions will work with you to plan your time in Peru. We can help you building your itinerary. Just give us your frame of time and your interests, and we will develop some proposals on the best way of using your time while visiting our country. We want you to get the most out of your trip and we will work our hardest to ensure you have an unforgettable experience in this special place.
We will include our advice about the cities to be visited, the tours and activities that will satisfy your interests and lodging options that will best meet your needs.
You do not need to purchase all inclusive tours or book complete itineraries. We allow you the freedom of choosing your best options and have the safety of booking the services you think are more important.
As natives and locals, we know these Inca trails like the backs of our hands and are passionate about protecting our natural and most treasured resources. Unfortunately some other companies are not so vigilant and we are concerned about the environmental impact. We hope to lead by example, by giving excellent service to you while conserving and respecting our natural resources and people.
At Quechuas Expeditions, we hold excellent service to you, our clients, and your interests and enjoyment as paramount. We also pride ourselves on being a company which holds the sacred nature of Macchu Picchu and the Inca trail of utmost importance.
All of us at Quechuas Expeditions are thrilled to have you as our guest and invite you to learn about our culture. We have a professional staff of mountain, jungle and cultural guides – all licensed to guide the Inca trail, salkantay trek,inka jungle ,lares trek,choquequirao to machupicchu,jungle amazon tours, cultural and archaelogical attractions in cusco,Peru and Bolivia. Our guides are dedicated professionals who lead our tours all year round, taking vacation only in February when the Inka trail is closed for maintenance and reforestation. All guides ar trained in first aid and rescue. We also have a professional staff of cooks who have done the incatrail for many years.
We did two tours with Quechuas Expeditions, a one-day tour to Humantay lake and a two-day tour to the Tambopata rainforest. In both cases, Quechuas Expeditions was the agency, subcontracting... read more
My husband and I did the 5d/4n Salkantay trek in October with Quechuas Expeditions after a recommendation from a friend that did a trek with them a few years ago.... read more
I highly recommend Quechuas Expeditions. They were very easy to work with and understanding when we were having difficulties with local ATMs. Our guide and team were awesome. They made... read more