5 Day Salkantay & Rainbow Mountain Trek to Machupicchu By Glamping in Sky Dome to Dome (Top-Selling)
A great Alternative Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu by Hiking and glamping in EcoDome
National Geographic Adventure Magazine rated the Salkantay trek as one for the 25 Best Treks in the World.
Mount Salkantay (or Nevado Salkantay / Salcantay) is one of the most iconic mountains in the Cusco region and the highest mountain on the Vilcabamba Mountain range.
5 Days 4 Nights
60.5 km / 37.5 miles.
3300 m.a.s.l - 4650 msnm
Trekking Nature & Culture
02 Min - 08 Max
Hikkers on the Salkantay trail spend a day approaching the mountain from the south and then another day in close proximity to the mountain as they scale the Salkantay Pass, which at 4,600m provides amazing views into the valley below. Salkantay trek of 4 days and 3 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate Andean and lush green mountains (Cloud forest), streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physically taxing walk. You can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay. You can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,630 mts/15, 228 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth day) you will enjoy the Grand tour of Machu Picchu City.
5 Day Salkantay & Rainbow Mountain Trek Overview:
STARTING POINT : Pick-up from Cusco & Sacred Valley Hotel/Airbnb. From 4:30 am to 5:00 am
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as large group service). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco
HIKING DISTANCE: 60.5 km / 37.5 ml
PHYSICAL LEVEL: Level 3. Salkantay Trek requires some physical preparation and we Also recommend to Aclimatize 2 days befor we begin the Salkantay Trek
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4,630 m / 15,228 ft
TRANSPORTATION: Private Van/Bus to Challacancha (for our Passengers and staff) Tourist Expedition Train Back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and Bus back to Cusco
ACCOMMODATIONS: 2 nights in Green Eco Dome ( Private Campsite of Domes at Soraypampa and Loreta La Playa), 1 night in the hotel (Aguas Calientes)
PORTERING/HORSEBACK SERVICE: 7 Kilos/14 Pounds Extra Portering service is included. We will provide you a duffel bag for your personal Stuff and (This will be Carried by the porter or Horses), Water Bottle, Rain Poncho & Inca Trail T-shirt at the briefing time
MEALS: 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, 3 tea times + wake-up teas
MACHUPICCHU: Machupicchu entrance fee Included.
- Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
- Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huayracmacha – Chaullay – La Playa Loreta
- Day 3: La Playa Loreta – Lucmabamba – Llactapata incan site – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Day 5: Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Cusco
5 Day Salkantay & Rainbow Mountain Trek Highlights:
- Sleep in comfort under the stars in our Ecofriendly Sky Green Eco Domes located in private campsite at Soraypampa and Loreta Campsite. Best Campsites Along the the Salkantay Trek.
- Day 1: Private Soraypampa Campsite at our Green Eco DOME
- Day 2: Private Loreta La Playa Campsite at our Green Eco DOME
- Day 3: Aguas Calientes Hotel
- Visit Humantay Lake and Salkantay Lake
- Hike the Original Inca Trail to LLactapata Incan site to see Machupicchu.
- Enjoy the scenic views of Salkantay Snow Mountain
- Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
- Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
- Eat delicious, freshly prepared Peruvian cuisine (Buffet Peruvian Style Food)
- Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
- Reach 4,600 meters (15,000 feet) in elevation along the Salkantay Pass
- Explore Machu Picchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
- Hike one of National Geographic’s 25 “World’s Best Treks”
- Please, Note: We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go…
- Please Note: For travellers who don’t have many days to hike, or for those who doesn’t feel fit enought to hike the Salkantay of 4 days. We have a great alternative salkantay trek and Humantay lake of 3 days conecting to machupicchu by train from ollantaytambo to aguas calientes. or salkantay and humantay lake 2 days sleeping in our domes.(Click here to see more info)
Salkantay Day 1: Mollepata – Challacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
We pick you up from your hotel Between 4:30 a.m to 5:00am to drive for about 2 hours to Mollepata where we stop to have breakfast. Then we keep driving 1 hour to Challacancha where start our Salkantay trek. As soon as we are at Challacancha while you get ready to walk. The cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 3 hours will be a little bit uphill to get Soraypampa where we will have lunch with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! After Lunch We will begin our Hike up to Humantay Lake, and hen back to Soraypampa our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped – mountain of Cusco.
1ST DAY: Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7- 8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay – Loreta La playa coffee camp
After having our Salkantay Trek early breakfast we start walking about 6:00 am, because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here. After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach Chaullay Where we take our Local transportation for 1 hour to Get our La Playa Loreta Coffe Campsite. The Reason we stay at this campsite is because the next day we will climb up to a mountain where you will find one of the most beautiful inca trail site which is known as Llactapata. You will also see Machu Picchu City from this point.
2ND DAY: Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 3: Loreta La playa – Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
We will have breakfast at 6:00am and leave our camping spot of La Playa Loreta. We walk up on a original Inca Trail to Llactapata site where you will get a chance to see Machupicchu far away (one of the most beautiful place to see Machupicchu) then We continue walking, passing a variety of crop plantations, coca, banana etc. until we reach the hydroelectric station for Lunch. And after the lunch we keep walking about two and half hours till reaching Aguas Calientes town where we will spend the night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes, you can take advantage of the thermal springs in the town (entrance 10 soles) a real treat after finishing the Salkantay Trek.
Please note: (For those who dont want to hike via this trail. There is a chance to take a bus to Santa Teresa and do an adventure sport of zip lining and Canopy and then transfered to hydroelectric station for Lunch and meet the group.) This has an extra Price of US$40 per person.
3RD DAY: Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7 – 8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 1,600 m (aprox.)
Hotel (aguas calientes) altitude: 1,900 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco!!!
Salkantay trek important day! We wake up early morning about 4am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and Start to walk up to Machupicchu which takes 1 and half hours up to machupicchu. But there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30am to Machupicchu. (it takes 25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco.
4TH DAY: Total distance: 6 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hour
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
Rainbow Mountain Day 5: Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Cusco
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m / 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. Once we reach the Inkintuyoc bridge, we will have a fueling continental breakfast.
We then start off on our hike, following a lovely stream. You will be immediately surprised by literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We will stop for a deluxe box lunch along the trail.
Back on the trail, we encounter more of the traditional elements of this trek. This includes potato fields and unique fauna. We have the prospect of seeing chinchillas and vicunas. Vicunas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Peru. Many red mountains are also a highlight of this portion of the hike.
After a total hike of approximately 5 hours, we finally reach our destination, what we came to see….the Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5 hours. Our private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will embark on the 3 hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is between 5 and 6 PM.
Meals: Continental Breakfast / Box lunch
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Distance to walk: 15 km / 9 ¼ miles
Approximate walking time: 5 to 6 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Salkantay Trek Includes:
- Pivate Tourist Transportation Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha. (Salkantay Trailhead)
- Pick up from your hotel by your guide.
- Professional bilingual Tour guide English/Spanish.
- Entrance Fee to Machu Picchu.
- Food service in the campsites (3 breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu: Buffet style. Plenty of food you will never be hungry with us! as well as Guinea Pig for free because we want you to taste all from Peru. All these meals are prepared by our cook and his assistant.
- Professional Cook/Cheff: all our fresh vegetables are washed in iodine water prior to serving. Vegetarian (vegan) food on request at no extra cost! All dietary requirements from vegans, lacto-allergies and general dislikes can be catered for so long as prior warning is given when booking the trip
- Daily tea service (Wake up Coca tea and afternoon tea time(Happy hour) including hot drinks such us mate de coca and locally grown coffe)
- Dining equipment including portable chairs and tables
- First Aid Kit
- 01 Oxygen tank
- Porters/Horseman, Horses (to carry All Food, Camping Equipment and 7 kilos of passengers belongings) We Never overload our Horses (well Animal Welfare)
- 1st Night Private Campsite: 01 Night in Green Eco Dome at Soraypampa Campsite
- 2nd Night Private Campsite: 01 Night in Green Eco Dome at La Playa Loreta Coffe Camp
PLEASE NOTE: The DOME 6 Meters diameter has Confortable Beds, Blankets, Pilows Private Shower, Bathroom (Acomodation is upon request) (Twin Bed room, 3 beds room, 04 beds room) and our domes use Solar Energy and Solar Water heater is base don weather. And we only use biodeagradable things and we Support Sustainable, Responsible & Ethical Tourism.
- 3rd Night Private Hotel: 01 Night in Aguas Calientes (Twin Bed room, 3 beds room, 04 beds room)
- Tourist Expedition return train to ollantaytambo
- Bus back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco and dropp off at the hotel.
- Duffel bag for personal belongings (We will provide you this duffel bag at the briefing time)
- Pre trek Orientation – briefing A day before we do the Trek. (Hotel or Office) Let us know once you are at the office or by email.
- Water for Driking: we will supply with filtered and boiled water and your bottles will be filled at each meal time. Please, bring enough water for the 1st day only.
- Free “I survived” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!!)
- Rainbow Mountain(Transportation round trip, Guide, All meals as well as entrance fee)
Salkantay Trek Doesnt Include: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
- Meals: Breakfast on Day 1
- Salkantay Entrance Fee (10 soles)
DISCOUNTS (to apply discounts. Please send us an email at email@example.com)
- UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD (Students must be below 25 years) : US$20. Please send us a a scanned copy of the student card at the time of booking.
- Under 17 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Under 12 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$10 per person. All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- MachuPicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train (First Class Train) (Includes Private Transportation From Ollantaytambo to Cusco) USUS$70
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes US$30 per person (Twin Bed room, 3 Beds room & 4 Beds Room with Private shower & Bathroom)
- A night in Cusco at our Quechuas Guesthouse: from US$20 per person / Twin Bed room (Before we do the tour/trek or after the tour/trek)
- Goose Down sleeping bag (Mummy style): US$30 for the entire trip
- (Black Dimond) Walking Poles Rubber Tips Included: US$20 for the entire trip
- Day Pack 20 – 30 liters (Rain cover included): US$15 for the entire trip
- BRIEFING for all our treks is a Night before we do the trek at 6:30pm in our office, But if you want us to come to your Hotel let us know in advance.(You will get a chance to meet you guide and as well as to give you your duffel bags)
- STORAGE Most Hotels have storage where you can leave the rest of your stuff while you hike to Machupicchu, But if they dont have a place you can leave your stuff in our storage with no extra cost. (Let us know at the time of briefing)
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go…
5 Day Salkantay Trek & Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu by Glamping Sky Dome to Dome (Prices for 2020, 2021 & 2022)
Availability: Daily Departures All Departures are 100% Guaranteed. If You’re Booked, You are Going, We wont Cancel your Trip !!!
How to Book?: Send us all Your Personal information as well as a Deposit of 30% and the Final Balance will be paid once you are in Cusco.
Group Service: Price per person: US$680
(You will be joined into a formed group of people who come from different countries/Nationalities): From 04 Persons to 08 Persons (Maximum)
Private Service: Price per person: US$780
Recommended for Honeymooners, Families with children & Groups of Friends (02 Persons Minimum)
If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as GROUP SERVICE). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco.
What you need to bring on Salkantay Trek:
Most people automatically assume that the weather is hot in South America, but because of the higher altitude in the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. We recommend the use of a duffel bag or backpack, whichever is easiest for you to carry. A good size daypack is also essential.
List of things you must bring:
- Original Passport (and some copies) If you have changed your passport Bring a couple of copies of the one that you have used to purchase the inca trail permit.
- Travel insurance is essential (and some copies)
- Airline tickets (and some copies)
- US$ cash and Credit or debit card (see personal spending money)
- Any entry visas or vaccination certificates required
- Camera and Memory cards
- Rechargeable batteries and adapters
- Reading/writing material
- Cover for backpacks
- Fleece top
- Windproof/waterproof jacket
- Small towel and swim wear
- Sun hat
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 2 pairs of long trousers *zipp off
- 1 pair hiking pants/track pants
- Hiking boots/ sturdy walking shoes (with ankle protectors)
- Knee-length socks (to be used with rubber boots, if provided at the jungle lodge)
- Sport hiking sandals
- Sun block
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Watch or alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Purifying tablets or filter (Micropur recommeded)
- Insect Repellent (for mosquitos)25 % of deet at least you can also by in cusco.
- Flashlight (head light recommended)
- Money belt
- Sleeping silk liner (for sleeping bags)
- Wool hat, mitts or gloves (preferably waterproof)
- Rain poncho, plastic bags for your personal stuff to keep dry
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired form us) we have goose down or syntetic sleeping bag
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- Thermal underwear
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhoea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
We are the Best Tour Operator in PERU
We are Inca Trail Operator
We are Local Tour Operator of the Inca Trail to Machupicchu, with no intermediaries or hidden prices; we have Local Guides experts and professionals.
Full Customer Support
From the moment we receive your message, we will assign you an expert travel specialist who will attend and customize every detail of your trip; we are Local Specialists
Tailor-Made Trips and tours, unique experiences for all our travelers; we design your next vacation in Peru to make it unique and unparalleled;
The best travel specialists
You will make your trip with local experts; we know the best routes and schedules in Peru; everything for unparalleled travel experiences
Our reputation at Tripadvisor
Thousands of travelers who know about the quality of our services are your guarantee of excellence and quality of tours. They recommend us
In all our tours, we are aware of the environment and the management of solid waste; we are responsible for our carbon footprint and respect for the flora and fauna