2 Day Rainbow Mountain Trek to Machupicchu
The Rainbow Mountain of Peru, also known as Vinicunca, are stunning and can be seen on the spectacular Ausangate Trek. Ausangate mountain itself is considered a holy mountain (or mountain spirit) by local Peruvians and is the deity of Cusco. Since pre-Inca times the mountain has been a place of worship and offerings and this tradition continues today. Most trips that allow you to see the Rainbow Mountains require a trek of at least 6 days. That has changed with this brand new itinerary. We have designed this hike so that it can be done as a day trip and conect to Machupicchu!
For those Travellers who have missed a space on Classic Inca Trail we have a GREAT Alternative trek to Machupicchu (See our 4 Day Salkantay Trek)
Click to see real travellers’ Reviews for a Wonderful Memorable Lifetime experience!
2 Days 1 Night
3300 m.a.s.l - 5000 m.a.s.l
Trekking Nature & Culture
02 Min - 08 Max
2 Day Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu Overview
STARTING POINT : Pick-up from Cusco & Sacred Valley Hotel/Airbnb. From 4:00 am to 4:30 am
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as large group service). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco.
HIKING DISTANCE: 2 Days Time
PHYSICAL LEVEL: Level 2. we Also recommend to Aclimatize 2 days befor we begin the trek
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 3300 m.a.s.l
TRANSPORTATION: Tourist Expedition Round trip train from Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
ACCOMMODATIONS: 1 Night in a Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Twin Bed room, 3 Beds room, 4 Bed room. Upon Request
MEALS: 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner
MACHUPICCHU: Machupicchu entrance fee Included.
- Day 1: Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
2 Day Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu Highlights
- Enjoy the sunrise in Machupicchu City
- Enjoy the scenic views of Sacred Valley of the incas (Maras Salt Flats & Moray)
- Enjoy the scenic the Rainbow Mountain
- Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
- Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
- Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
- Explore MachuPicchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
- Please, Note: We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go..
Day 1: Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m / 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. Once we reach the Inkintuyoc bridge, we will have a fueling continental breakfast.
We then start off on our hike, following a lovely stream. You will be immediately surprised by literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We will stop for a deluxe box lunch along the trail.
Back on the trail, we encounter more of the traditional elements of this trek. This includes potato fields and unique fauna. We have the prospect of seeing chinchillas and vicunas. Vicunas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Peru. Many red mountains are also a highlight of this portion of the hike.
After a total hike of approximately 3 hours, we finally reach our destination, what we came to see….the Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5 hours. Our private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will embark on the 3 hour drive to Ollantaytambo to take the train to Aguas Calientes and do oevernight in a hotel.
Meals: Continental Breakfast / Box lunch
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Distance to walk: 15 km / 9 ¼ miles
Approximate walking time: 5 to 6 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu picchu – Cusco
first option is leaving at 4:30am breakfast and begin of 2 hours climb to Machu Picchu archaeological site (2500m).and Second option is leaving at 6am breakfast and half hour later aboard the first tourist bus to drop us to Machu Picchu main door, and to be the first visitors inside Machu Picchu archaeological site you will have complete guided tour of this spectacular and mystical place. The guided tour include walk through the different section such as urban, agriculture, and the religions zone was used by the Inca Culture. According with the time and your feeling you can coordinating with the tour guide climb to Huayna Picchu (Young Mountain) this climbing take around 1 hour to get the summit from where you can have the best view for photos of all Machu Picchu and of deep green canyon surrounding the sacred Inca City. At according time descend to Machu Picchu and then free time to explorer on your own. At mentioned time aboard a tourist bus to descend to Aguas Calientes town. Lunch will be in town and then we will aboard the backpacker train to Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) and from here we take a private van to drop us to the hotel in Cusco.
Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu Includes:
- Private Transportation Cusco to Cruzpata (Trailhead)
- Quad Bike, Helmet, Gloves
- English Speaking Guide for 2 days
- 01 Breakfast, 01 Lunch, 01 Dinner
- Machupicchu entrance fee
- 01 Night Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Tourist Expedition Train round trip from Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Bus back from ollantaytambo to cusco
Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu Doesnt Include: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and dinner – Day 2
- Tips (optional)
- Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please):Quechuas Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
DISCOUNTS (to apply discounts. Please send us an email at email@example.com)
- UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD (Students must be below 25 years) : US$20. Please send us a a scanned copy of the student card at the time of booking.
- Under 17 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Under 12 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$20 per person. All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- MachuPicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train (First Class Train) (Includes Private Transportation From Ollantaytambo to Cusco) USUS$70
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes US$30 per person (Twin Bed room, 3 Beds room & 4 Beds Room with Private shower & Bathroom)
- A night in Cusco at our Quechuas Guesthouse: from US$20 per person / Twin Bed room (Before we do the tour/trek or after the tour/trek)
- Goose Down sleeping bag (Mummy style): US$30 for the entire trip
- (Black Dimond) Walking Poles Rubber Tips Included: US$20 for the entire trip
- Day Pack 20 – 30 liters (Rain cover included): US$15 for the entire trip
- BRIEFING for all our treks is a Night before we do the trek at 6:30pm in our office, But if you want us to come to your Hotel let us know in advance.(You will get a chance to meet you guide and as well as to give you your duffel bags)
- STORAGE Most Hotels have storage where you can leave the rest of your stuff while you hike to Machupicchu, But if they dont have a place you can leave your stuff in our storage with no extra cost. (Let us know at the time of briefing)
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form
2 Day Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu (Prices for 2020, 2021 & 2022)
Availability: Daily Departures All Departures are 100% Guaranteed. If You’re Booked, You are Going, We wont Cancel your Trip !!!
How to Book?: Send us all Your Personal information as well as a Deposit of 30% and the Final Balance will be paid once you are in Cusco.
Group Service: Price per person: US$450
(You will be joined into a formed group of people who come from different countries/Nationalities): (Group Size: 04 Minimum – 12ppl Average – 16ppl Maximum)
Private Service: Price per person: US$600
Recommended for Honeymooners, Families with children & Groups of Friends (02 Persons Minimum)
If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as GROUP SERVICE). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco.
What you need to bring on Rainbow Mountain to Machupicchu:
Most people automatically assume that the weather is hot in South America, but because of the higher altitude in the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. We recommend the use of a duffel bag or backpack, whichever is easiest for you to carry. A good size daypack is also essential.
List of things you must bring:
- Original Passport (and some copies) If you have changed your passport Bring a couple of copies of the one that you have used to purchase the inca trail permit.
- Travel insurance is essential (and some copies)
- Airline tickets (and some copies)
- US$ cash and Credit or debit card (see personal spending money)
- Any entry visas or vaccination certificates required
- Camera and Memory cards
- Rechargeable batteries and adapters
- Reading/writing material
- Cover for backpacks
- Fleece top
- Windproof/waterproof jacket
- Small towel and swim wear
- Sun hat
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 2 pairs of long trousers *zipp off
- 1 pair hiking pants/track pants
- Hiking boots/ sturdy walking shoes (with ankle protectors)
- Knee-length socks (to be used with rubber boots, if provided at the jungle lodge)
- Sport hiking sandals
- Sun block
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Watch or alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Purifying tablets or filter (Micropur recommeded)
- Insect Repellent (for mosquitos)25 % of deet at least you can also by in cusco.
- Flashlight (head light recommended)
- Money belt
- Sleeping silk liner (for sleeping bags)
- Wool hat, mitts or gloves (preferably waterproof)
- Rain poncho, plastic bags for your personal stuff to keep dry
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired form us) we have goose down or syntetic sleeping bag
- Copy of a valid passport/Peruvian Imigration card Copy as well.
- Copy of yellow fever and tetanus vaccinations
- Money for soft drinks or beers and handicrafts
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- Thermal underwear
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhoea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
Trips that may also interest you
We are Inca Trail Operator
We are Local Tour Operator of the Inca Trail to Machupicchu, with no intermediaries or hidden prices; we have Local Guides experts and professionals.
Full Customer Support
From the moment we receive your message, we will assign you an expert travel specialist who will attend and customize every detail of your trip; we are Local Specialists
Tailor-Made Trips and tours, unique experiences for all our travelers; we design your next vacation in Peru to make it unique and unparalleled;
The best travel specialists
You will make your trip with local experts; we know the best routes and schedules in Peru; everything for unparalleled travel experiences
Our reputation at Tripadvisor
Thousands of travelers who know about the quality of our services are your guarantee of excellence and quality of tours. They recommend us
In all our tours, we are aware of the environment and the management of solid waste; we are responsible for our carbon footprint and respect for the flora and fauna