6 Day Ausangate & Machupicchu Trek (Adventure)
This is an impressive trek around the snow-capped Ausangate mountains (6,372m) which can be done by horse or walking. You will pass over 5,200 m where it is possible to see some vicunas and also many alpaca herds, which is the main income for the Andean people on this area. You can bathe in hot springs and see red and green lakes with Ducks, Pintails, Andean Coots, Puna Ibis, Andean Goose.and much more.
An unforgettable and challenging hike for lovers of mountain treks. The nights are cold but during the day it can be very hot. The APU AUSANGATE as it is called by the andean people, is a holy mountain, which still these days people prey on it asking for good agriculture, good life for their animals and good health for themselves. Every year in june there is an expedition of catolic religious people to the Senor of Qóylloriti which is a temple made up at 5200 masl to celebrate the catholic cross, the sun and the Apu Ausangate of the Inkas.
Click to see real travellers’ Reviews for a Wonderful Memorable Lifetime experience!
6 Days 5 Nights
60.5 km / 37.5 miles.
3300 m.a.s.l - 5100 m.a.s.l
Trekking Nature & Culture
02 Min - 08 Max
6 Day Ausangate & Machupicchu Trek Overview
STARTING POINT : Pick-up from Cusco & Sacred Valley Hotel/Airbnb. From 4:00 am to 4:30 am
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as large group service). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco.
HIKING DISTANCE: 6 Days Time
PHYSICAL LEVEL: Level 4. we Also recommend to Aclimatize 2 days befor we begin the trek
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 5200 m.a.s.l
TRANSPORTATION: Bus Round trip Cusco – Tinki – Cusco
ACCOMMODATIONS: Camping Tent & Aguas Calientes Hotel
MEALS: 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners
MACHUPICCHU: Machupicchu entrance fee Included.
- Day 1: Cusco – Tinki – Upis
- Day 2: Upis To Jatun Pucaqocha
- Day 3: Jatun Pucaqocha To Uchuy Finaya
- Day 4: Huchuy Finaya To Pacchanta
- Day 5: Pacchanta – Tinki – Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu
- Day 6: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Cusco
6 Day Ausangate & Machupicchu Trek Highlights
- Enjoy the sunrise in Machupicchu
- Enjoy the scenic of the Ausangate snow Mountain & Machupicchu
- Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
- Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
- Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
- Explore MachuPicchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
- Please, Note: We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go..
Day 1: Cusco – Tinki – Upis
We leave at 5:00 am from Cusco in private bus, taking the road that goes to Puerto Maldonado. After 6 hours driving we arrive to Tinki at 3800 m asl. On the way from Cusco to Tinki we pass through many agricultural areas and beautifull landscapes.
From Tinki we start walking for 5 hours to Upis where we will have our first camp at 4200 masl.
Day 2: Upis To Jatun Pucaqocha
After an early breakfast will leave Upis and ascend for two hours to reach the La Arapa pass (4850 masl). On the trek we pass through areas with many vizcachas (relatives of the rabbits) also the view of the Ausangate is very impressive from the top, as we descend we see the beautifull lakes with green or turquoise colors. We wil set up the camp close the lake Jatun Pucaqocha (big red lake).
Day 3: Jatun Pucaqocha To Uchuy Finaya
On this day we will pass over two passes, the second pass of Apuchata in 4900m asl. And right after that the third pass the Palomani pass at 5200masl. Finally arriving to Uchuy Finaya where we will camp. Also from here the view is very spectacular because we can see the back side of the Ausangate mountain, also on the way we see many Alpaca herds.
Day 4: Huchuy Finaya To Pacchanta
On this day we have the fourth pass the Q´ampa pass 5000 m asl. The possibilities to observe vicunas are very good on this day, also for people who would like to see birds on the lakes or flying, eg. Crested Duck, Ground Tyrants and Puna Hawks.
The Viscachas are very common close to Pacchanta, place of the hot spring and camp.
Day 5: Pacchanta – Tinki – Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu
After an early breakfast ,we leave Pacchanta towards Tinki, which will take us approximately 2 hours. From Tinki we take our private bus back to Cusco and then Ollantaytambo where we take the train to Aguas Calientes where we do overnight.
Day 6: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Cusco
After an early breakfast, we start walking up to Machupicchu to be the first one (1 and half hours) or we can take the bus up to Machu picchu ( 30 minutes up) and bus leaves at 5:30am. once we are there we register and start on our 3 hours guided visit. After enjoying Machupicchu, we will walk down or take the bus down to Aguas Calientes where you will have free time to enjoy hot springs have a lunch before we return to Ollantaytambo and then Bus back to cusco.
Ausangate & Machupicchu Trek Includes:
- Private Transportation To Tinke (Trailhead)
- English – Spanish speaking guide for 6 days of the Ausangate and Machupicchu.
- Guided assistance
- Thermarest air-inflate Confortable sleeping pad
- Cook and assistance of the Cook.
- Cooking equipment
- Daily tea service
- Dining equipment including chairs and tables
- Portable environmental Biodegradable toilet (The Pett)
- Food service in the campsites (5 breakfast, 5 lunches, 5 dinners, 5 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu
- Vegetarian menu at no extra cost
- Personal trekking food – nutritionally balanced menu(Buffet)
- Two person tents (3-people capacity tent used as doubles – Kayla Doite)
- Horseman and Horses.(To carry our camping equipment, food and 7 kilos of your personal stuff like: sleeping bag and mat as well as cothes) We Never overload our Horses(well Animal Welfare). During Ausangate Sector.
- Porters to carry all our camping equipment as well as food.
- Ausangate & Machupicchu entrance fees, valid for 6 days
- Camping equipment and basic field equipment for our Cook and horseman
- Tourist Train round trip from Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Private Transportation from the Ollantaytambo train station to Cusco
- First-aid kit
- Emergency oxygen bottle
- Rain waterproof cover for your day backpacks
- Pre trek Orientation – briefing (Hotel or Office)
- Insurance policy for our porters and Cooks.
Ausangate & Machupicchu Trek Doesnt Include: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and dinner – Day 6
- Tips (optional)
- Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please):Quechuas Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
DISCOUNTS (to apply discounts. Please send us an email at email@example.com)
- UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD (Students must be below 25 years) : US$20. Please send us a a scanned copy of the student card at the time of booking.
- Under 17 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Under 12 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$20 per person. All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$50 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- MachuPicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$40 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train (First Class Train) (Includes Private Transportation From Ollantaytambo to Cusco) USUS$70
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes US$30 per person (Twin Bed room, 3 Beds room & 4 Beds Room with Private shower & Bathroom)
- A night in Cusco at our Quechuas Guesthouse: from US$20 per person / Twin Bed room (Before we do the tour/trek or after the tour/trek)
- Goose Down sleeping bag (Mummy style): US$60 for the entire trip
- (Black Dimond) Walking Poles Rubber Tips Included: US$40 for the entire trip
- Day Pack 20 – 30 liters (Rain cover included): US$30 for the entire trip
- BRIEFING for all our treks is a Night before we do the trek at 6:30pm in our office, But if you want us to come to your Hotel let us know in advance.(You will get a chance to meet you guide and as well as to give you your duffel bags)
- STORAGE Most Hotels have storage where you can leave the rest of your stuff while you hike to Machupicchu, But if they dont have a place you can leave your stuff in our storage with no extra cost. (Let us know at the time of briefing)
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form
6 Day Ausangate & Machupicchu (Prices for 2020, 2021 & 2022)
Availability: Daily Departures All Departures are 100% Guaranteed. If You’re Booked, You are Going, We wont Cancel your Trip !!!
How to Book?: Send us all Your Personal information as well as a Deposit of 30% and the Final Balance will be paid once you are in Cusco.
Group Service: Price per person: US$850
(You will be joined into a formed group of people who come from different countries/Nationalities): (Group Size: 04 Minimum – 12ppl Average – 16ppl Maximum)
Private Service: Price per person: US$950
Recommended for Honeymooners, Families with children & Groups of Friends (02 Persons Minimum)
If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as GROUP SERVICE). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco.
What you need to bring on Salkantay Trek:
Most people automatically assume that the weather is hot in South America, but because of the higher altitude in the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. We recommend the use of a duffel bag or backpack, whichever is easiest for you to carry. A good size daypack is also essential.
List of things you must bring:
- Original Passport (and some copies) If you have changed your passport Bring a couple of copies of the one that you have used to purchase the inca trail permit.
- Travel insurance is essential (and some copies)
- Airline tickets (and some copies)
- US$ cash and Credit or debit card (see personal spending money)
- Any entry visas or vaccination certificates required
- Camera and Memory cards
- Rechargeable batteries and adapters
- Reading/writing material
- Cover for backpacks
- Fleece top
- Windproof/waterproof jacket
- Small towel and swim wear
- Sun hat
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 2 pairs of long trousers *zipp off
- 1 pair hiking pants/track pants
- Hiking boots/ sturdy walking shoes (with ankle protectors)
- Knee-length socks (to be used with rubber boots, if provided at the jungle lodge)
- Sport hiking sandals
- Sun block
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Watch or alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Purifying tablets or filter (Micropur recommeded)
- Insect Repellent (for mosquitos)25 % of deet at least you can also by in cusco.
- Flashlight (head light recommended)
- Money belt
- Sleeping silk liner (for sleeping bags)
- Wool hat, mitts or gloves (preferably waterproof)
- Rain poncho, plastic bags for your personal stuff to keep dry
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired form us) we have goose down or syntetic sleeping bag
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- Thermal underwear
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhoea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
Trips that may also interest you
We are Inca Trail Operator
We are Local Tour Operator of the Inca Trail to Machupicchu, with no intermediaries or hidden prices; we have Local Guides experts and professionals.
Full Customer Support
From the moment we receive your message, we will assign you an expert travel specialist who will attend and customize every detail of your trip; we are Local Specialists
Tailor-Made Trips and tours, unique experiences for all our travelers; we design your next vacation in Peru to make it unique and unparalleled;
The best travel specialists
You will make your trip with local experts; we know the best routes and schedules in Peru; everything for unparalleled travel experiences
Our reputation at Tripadvisor
Thousands of travelers who know about the quality of our services are your guarantee of excellence and quality of tours. They recommend us
In all our tours, we are aware of the environment and the management of solid waste; we are responsible for our carbon footprint and respect for the flora and fauna