5 Day Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu by Camping Tent (Backpacker – Low Cost)
You can now go on a great tour through the snowy Salkantay to one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World – Machu Picchu.
National Geographic Adventure Magazine rated the Salkantay trek as one for the 25 Best Treks in the World.
Mount Salkantay (or Nevado Salkantay / Salcantay) is one of the most iconic mountains in the Cusco region and the highest mountain on the Vilcabamba Mountain range. 4
5 Days 4 Nights
60.5 km / 37.5 miles.
3300 m.a.s.l - 4650 msnm
Trekking Nature & Culture
16 ppl Max
<Hikkers on the Salkantay trail spend a day approaching the mountain from the south and then another day in close proximity to the mountain as they scale the Salkantay Pass, which at 4,600m provides amazing views into the valley below. Salkantay trek of 4 days and 3 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate Andean and lush green mountains (Cloud forest), streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physically taxing walk. You can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay. You can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,630 mts/15, 228 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth day) you will enjoy the Grand tour of Machu Picchu City.
5 Day Salkantay Trek (Humantay Lake and Llactapata incan site) Overview:
STARTING POINT : Pick-up from Cusco & Sacred Valley Hotel/Airbnb. From 4:30 am to 5:00 am
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart (No matter if you have paid as large group service). We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do here in cusco
HIKING DISTANCE: 60.5 km / 37.5 ml
PHYSICAL LEVEL: Level 3. Salkantay Trek requires some physical preparation and we Also recommend to Aclimatize 2 days before we begin the Salkantay Trek
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4,630 m / 15,228 ft
TRANSPORTATION: Private Van/Bus to Challacancha (for our Passengers and staff) Tourist Expedition Train Back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and Bus back to Cusco
ACCOMMODATIONS: 03 nights in Camping Tent (Private Campsite at Soraypampa, Chaullay and Loreta La Playa), 01 night in the hostel (Aguas Calientes)
PORTERING/HORSEBACK SERVICE: 5 Kilos/10 Pounds Extra Portering service is included. We will provide you a duffel bag for your personal Stuff and (This will be carried by the porter or Horses),
MEALS: 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, 3 tea times + wake-up teas
MACHUPICCHU: Machupicchu entrance fee Included.
- Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
- Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huayracmachay – Chaullay
- Day 3: Chaullay – Lluscamayo – La Playa Loreta (Coffe Experience)
- Day 4: La Playa Loreta – Lucmabamba – Llactapata incan site – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
- Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
Why Choose Quechuas Expeditions?
- We are 100% Peruvian Company (The Best Local Tour Operator)
- We have the best top GUIDES in the Region
- We have the best Cheffs/ Cooks
- We have our own private campsites (And we work with responsability protecting the natural area) Exclusive Salkantay Campsites for our passengers only
- We are a reliable and certified company
- Small Groups and Memorable Lifetime Experiences 100% Guarantee
- We have special Itinerary to avoid the crowds and so many surprises to make your SALKANTAY trip memorable!!!
5 Day Salkantay Trek ( Humantay Lake and Llactapata Incan site) Highlights:
- Sleep in comfort under the stars in our Campsites of Camping Tents
- Day 1: Private Soraypampa Campsite (Camping Tent)
- Day 2: Private Chaullay Campsite (Camping Tent)
- Day 3: Private Loreta La Playa Campsite (Camping Tent)
- Day 4: Aguas Calientes Hostel
- Visit Humantay Lake and Salkantay Lake
- Hike the Original Inca Trail to LLactapata Incan site to see Machupicchu.
- Enjoy the scenic views of Salkantay Snow Mountain
- Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
- Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
- Eat delicious, freshly prepared Peruvian cuisine (Buffet Peruvian Style Food)
- Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
- Reach 4,600 meters (15,000 feet) in elevation along the Salkantay Pass
- Explore Machu Picchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
- Hike one of National Geographic’s 25 “World’s Best Treks”
- Please, Note: We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Machupicchu Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go…
- Please Note: For travellers who don’t have many days to hike, or for those who doesn’t feel fit enought to hike the Salkantay of 5 days. We have a great alternative salkantay trek and Humantay lake of 3 days conecting to machupicchu by train from ollantaytambo to aguas calientes. or salkantay and humantay lake.
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa (Camping Tent)
We pick you up from your hotel Between 4:30 a.m to 500 am to drive for about 2 and half hours to Mollepata where we stop to have breakfast and after we will keep driving to challacancha where we start hiking and as Soon as we are at challacancha the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 25 minutes will be a little bit uphill to get the Water Channel where we will have a nice place with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco. Then after Lunch we will go to Humantay Lake and explore around and the we will walk down to our best Sky Lodge Dome campsite of soraypampa.
Day 1: Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huaracmachay – Chaullay (Camping Tent)
After having our Salkantay Trek breakfast we start walking about 6:30 am ,because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here. After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach our second Salkantay Trek camping spot of chaullay or Colcapampa (3000m/9800ft).
Day 2: Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Day 3: Chaullay – LLuscamayo – Loreta La Playa Sahuayaco (Camping Tent)
After breakfast, at 6.30am, we start walking through the upper jungle crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of little brooks to reach La Playa walking about 6 hours. Today we will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits ,plants and as soon as we are at la playa we will have lunch and then we will rest and camp at la Playa.
(Optional: in the afternoon there is a chance to go to the hot spring of colcalmayo ist has an extra cost that you can see once you are there)
Day 3: Total distance: 16 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 1,600 m (aprox.)
Day 4: Loreta – Lucmabamba – Llactapata – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes (Hotel)
We will have breakfast at 8am and leave our camping spot of Lluscamayo. We walk up on a original Inca Trail to Llactapata site where you will get a chance to see Machupicchu far away (one of the most beautiful place to see Machupicchu) then We continue walking, passing a variety of crop plantations, coca, banana etc. until we reach the hydroelectric station. And after the lunch we keep walking about two and half hours along the train road till reaching Aguas Calientes town where we will spend the night in a hostel. In Aguas Calientes, you can take advantage of the thermal springs in the town (entrance 10 soles) a real treat after finishing the Salkantay Trek
Day 4: Total distance: 12 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 5 – 6 hours
Maximum altitude point: 1,600 m (aprox.)
Hostel(aguas calientes) altitude: 1,900 m (aprox.)
Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo – Cusco
Salkantay trek important day ,We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco.
and those who return by bus they will have to walk back from Machupicchu to Hidroelectrica to take the bus back(you must be between 2:30pm to 3:00pm)
Day 5: Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)Ca
Salkantay Trek Includes:
- Pivate Tourist Transportation Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha. (Salkantay Trailhead)
- Pick up from your hotel by your guide.
- Professional bilingual Tour guide English/Spanish.
- Entrance Fee to Machu Picchu.
- Food service in the campsites (4 breakfast, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, 3 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu: Buffet style. Plenty of food you will never be hungry with us!
- Professional Cook/Cheff: all our fresh vegetables are washed in iodine water prior to serving. Vegetarian (vegan) food on request at no extra cost! All dietary requirements from vegans, lacto-allergies and general dislikes can be catered for so long as prior warning is given when booking the trip
- Daily tea service (Wake up Coca tea and afternoon tea time(Happy hour) including hot drinks such us mate de coca and locally grown coffe)
- Dining equipment including portable chairs and tables
- Camping Tents and Mats to sleep
- First Aid Kit
- 01 Oxygen tank
- Porters/Horseman, Horses (to carry All Food, Camping Equipment and 5 kilos of passengers belongings) We Never overload our Horses (well Animal Welfare)
- 1st Night Private Campsite: Camping Tent
- 2nd Night Private Campsite: Camping Tent
- 3rd Night Private Campsite: Camping Tent
- 4th Night Hostel: 01 Night in Aguas Calientes (Twin Bed room, 3 beds room, 04 beds room)
- Please Note:
- Expedition Train Back From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Train Time from 7:00pm to 9:20pm) Subjet to Availability
- Bus back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco (San Francisco or Regocijo Square)
- Duffel bag for personal belongings (We will provide you this duffel bag at the briefing time)
- Pre trek Orientation – briefing A day before we do the Trek. (Hotel or Office) Let us know once you are at the office or by email.
- Free “I survived” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!!)
Salkantay Trek Doesnt Include: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
- Breakfast Day 1
- Lunch and dinner Day 5
- Entrance fee to Salkantay and Humantay Lake 20 soles
- Sleeping Bag (You can rent from us)
- Walking Poles (You can rent from us)
- Tips for our staff (Optional)
- Optional: If you feel tired after the trek to and from Llactapata, There is a chance to take a train from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes. (30 minutes ride)(Cost of the Train Service is $35)
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu ($12 per person, one way)
- Travel and Health Insurance.(bring copies with you please):Quechuas Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
DISCOUNTS (to apply discounts. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD (Students must be below 25 years) : US$20. Please send us a a scanned copy of the student card at the time of booking.
- Under 17 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Under 12 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$10 per person. All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- MachuPicchu Mountain (Based on Availability): US$30 Based on Availability (Let us at the time of booking)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train (First Class Train) (Includes Private Transportation From Ollantaytambo to Cusco) USUS$70
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes US$30 per person (Twin Bed room, 3 Beds room & 4 Beds Room with Private shower & Bathroom)
- A night in Cusco at our Quechuas Guesthouse: from US$20 per person / Twin Bed room (Before we do the tour/trek or after the tour/trek)
- Goose Down sleeping bag (Mummy style): US$30 for the entire trip
- (Black Dimond) Walking Poles Rubber Tips Included: US$20 for the entire trip
- Day Pack 20 – 30 liters (Rain cover included): US$15 for the entire trip
- BRIEFING: for all our treks is a Night before we do the trek at 6:30pm in our office, But if you want us to come to your Hotel let us know in advance.(You will get a chance to meet you guide and as well as to give you your duffel bags)
- STORAGE: Most Hotels have storage where you can leave the rest of your stuff while you hike to Machupicchu, But if they dont have a place you can leave your stuff in our storage with no extra cost. (Let us know at the time of briefing)
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Inca Trail Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of 30% and you are ready to go…
5 Day Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu by Camping Tents (Prices for 2022 & 2023)
Availability: Daily Departures All Departures are 100% Guaranteed. If You’re Booked, You are Going, We wont Cancel your Trip !!!
How to Book?: Send us all Your Personal information as well as a Deposit of 30% and the Final Balance will be paid once you are in Cusco.
Group Service (Salkantay Trek Returning by Car/Bus)
Price per person:
- Student US$190
- Adult: US$210
Group Service (Salkantay Trek Returning by Train)
Price per person:
- Student US$260
- Adult: US$280
Daily Departures ( We are the Best Operator On Salkantay Trek with our own Private Campsites)
April 2022: 26,27,28,29,30
May 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
June 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
July 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
August 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
September 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
October 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
November 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
December 2022: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
January 2023: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30
(You will be joined into a formed group of people who come from different countries/Nationalities): Memorable Salkantay Operator provider
Additionsl Options you can Add to your Salkantay Trek
Huaynapicchu Mountain: US$30 (check availability)
Machupicchu Mountain: US$ 30 (check availability)
Sleeping for the entire Trip: US$20
Walking Poles for the entire Trip: US$15, one pair for the whole trek
UPGRADE to Vistadome – Panoramic train. US$40 (If you decided to return by train you can upgrade to VISTA DOME TRAIN)
For this Salkantay Trekking 5 Days If you like to apply for the student price, you need to comply with the next requirements of Peruvian regulation for students. If you are a student, you need to send us a copy or picture of both sides of your STUDENT CARD also a picture or photo of your PASSPORT in order to verify, to get a discount The student card must be an original student ID given from the university in PVC material and it must have the next requirements printed on it: University information, personal student information, student picture, and expiration date valid only for one year, it year must coincide with the year that student visits Machu Picchu, the discount until 25 years old. ISIC cards are not valid for the discount
What you need to bring on Salkantay Trek:
Most people automatically assume that the weather is hot in South America, but because of the higher altitude in the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. We recommend the use of a duffel bag or backpack, whichever is easiest for you to carry. A good size daypack is also essential.
List of things you must bring:
- Original Passport (and some copies) If you have changed your passport Bring a couple of copies of the one that you have used to purchase the inca trail permit.
- Travel insurance is essential (and some copies)
- Airline tickets (and some copies)
- US$ cash and Credit or debit card (see personal spending money)
- Any entry visas or vaccination certificates required
- Camera and Memory cards
- Rechargeable batteries and adapters
- Reading/writing material
- Cover for backpacks
- Fleece top
- Windproof/waterproof jacket
- Small towel and swim wear
- Sun hat
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 2 pairs of long trousers *zipp off
- 1 pair hiking pants/track pants
- Hiking boots/ sturdy walking shoes (with ankle protectors)
- Knee-length socks (to be used with rubber boots, if provided at the jungle lodge)
- Sport hiking sandals
- Sun block
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Watch or alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Purifying tablets or filter (Micropur recommeded)
- Insect Repellent (for mosquitos)25 % of deet at least you can also by in cusco.
- Flashlight (head light recommended)
- Money belt
- Sleeping silk liner (for sleeping bags)
- Wool hat, mitts or gloves (preferably waterproof)
- Rain poncho, plastic bags for your personal stuff to keep dry
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired form us) we have goose down or syntetic sleeping bag
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- Thermal underwear
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhoea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
Frequently Asked Questions
We are the Best Tour Operator in PERU
We are Inca Trail Operator
We are Local Tour Operator of the Inca Trail to Machupicchu, with no intermediaries or hidden prices; we have Local Guides experts and professionals.
Full Customer Support
From the moment we receive your message, we will assign you an expert travel specialist who will attend and customize every detail of your trip; we are Local Specialists
Tailor-Made Trips and tours, unique experiences for all our travelers; we design your next vacation in Peru to make it unique and unparalleled;
The best travel specialists
You will make your trip with local experts; we know the best routes and schedules in Peru; everything for unparalleled travel experiences
Our reputation at Tripadvisor
Thousands of travelers who know about the quality of our services are your guarantee of excellence and quality of tours. They recommend us
In all our tours, we are aware of the environment and the management of solid waste; we are responsible for our carbon footprint and respect for the flora and fauna